Hello everyone. Upma is the popular South Indian breakfast. But now a days every one is the fan of upma. Vermicelli upma is one type of South Indian upma recipe. It is made with vermicelli also known as sevai or semiya. Vermicelli are made from rice or wheat. In this recipe I used the whole wheat vermicelli. Because they are more healthy than other one.
There are lots of variations are available in upma like upma made with oats i.e oats upma, vegetable upma, bread upma, rava upma and today’s vermicelli upma. You can try these recipes for your breakfast.
Vermicelli upma is served with coconut chutney or plain yogurt. I like to eat vermicelli upma with yogurt. Step by step procedure of vermicelli upma is given below. Make at home and do comment below. If you have any queries about recipes then ask to us.
2 cups wheat vermicelli.
1/4 cup groundnuts.
1 finely chopped onion.
3-4 green chillies.
Few curry leaves.
Finely chopped coriander leaves.
1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds.
1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
2 tablespoons oil.
1 tablespoon clarified butter (ghee).
- Melt the 1 tablespoon ghee in nonstick pan. Roast the vermicelli in it lightly. After roasting remove it from heat. Keep it aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons oil in pan. When oil becomes hot add curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute it for 2 minutes till onion becomes transparent.
- Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Then add chopped green chillies and turmeric powder. Fry it gently with spatula.
- Then add groundnuts and roasted vermicelli. Fry it well for few seconds.
- Add 2 cups of hot water into it. Give it a nice stir.
- According to taste add salt. Cover a pan with lid and cook for 10-15 minutes.
Serving Method :-
While serving vermicelli upma garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves and lemon. Serve the yummy and healthy vermicelli upma with coconut chutney.
- You can add boiled veggies like green peas or carrot in vermicelli upma. It is totally up to you.