Vegetable varai pulao recipe. Specially wrote this recipe for fasting. Fast is also known as vrat or upvas in Marathi. Fasting means the reduction from a daily meal for a small period of time. It may be for 12 hours or 24 hours or for few days.
In India, upvas is mainly done for god or goddess during a particular day.
Navratri is one more special festival in India. In this festival, all Indians worship the Durga Mata (goddess). As the name suggest Navratri means nine nights. Hence it is nine nights and ten days festival.
During these days different forms of Devi are worshipped. Many people keep the fast during these days.
Every day in Navratri or regular fast, what to do for fasting? This is the big question. But don’t worry. Here is the vegetable varai pulao recipe. Varai pulao is simple but yummy rice recipe for fasting.
Vegetable varai pulao is made from barnyard millets or varai. It is also called as vari or sama rice. Vegetables like potatoes and suran (jimikand) are used here while cooking. It increases taste and texture of pulao.
We have shared some more fast recipes. Such as crispy sabudana vada recipe, singhara poori, jeera aloo recipe, sweet ras malai recipe, idli recipe for fasting, sabudana khichadi and yummy paneer vada.
Try these recipes at your home. Let us know how it turned out.
Now let’s start to learn vegetable varai pulao recipe.
Preparation Time :- 10 minutes.
Cooking Time :- 15 minutes.
Servings :- 2.
Ingredients For Vegetable Varai Pulao Recipe :-
1 cup barnyard millets or varai rice.
3 tablespoons roasted groundnut powder.
3-4 green chillies.
1 small potato.
1 small piece of suran.
2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee).
Few coriander leaves.
Salt to taste.
Lemon for garnishing.
- Clean and remove the dirt from barnyard millets or varai. Dry roast in the hot pan at medium flame. Roast till millet turns into light brown color. Do not burn it. After roasting remove into a dish.
- Peel and cut the potato and suran into small size cubes. Wash and keep aside.
- Chopped the green chillies and coriander leaves. Rest it aside.
- Now melt clarified butter in a heavy bottom pan. Once ghee becomes nice and hot, add chopped green chillies. Fry them nicely.
- Then add potato and suran cubes in the same. Fry for few minutes. After that add roasted varai. Mix well together.
- Now pour 1 and 1/2 cup water. Add groundnut powder and salt to taste. Give it a nice stir. Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, check the rice with your fingers. If it is soft and light then varai pulao is ready. You can add some more water if rice is not cooked. But make sour that there is no water in a rice.
Serving Method :-
Transfer vegetable varai pulao in a serving dish. Garnish with a finely chopped coriander leaves and lemon slice. Varai pulao goes yummy with milk or peanut curry.
- Keep checking and stirring in between while cooking the rice.
- Pour the water as per need.
- Instead of chopped green chillies, you can add paste of it.
- You can avoid vegetables as well.