Sarson ka saag recipe is the Punjabi cuisine. Name itself gives its meaning. Sarson means mustard. Saag means green leaf based dish. Step by step detail procedure to make Sarson ka saag recipe is given below.
Green vegetables such as mustard leaves and spinach leaves along with some other spices are used in this Sarson ka saag recipe. It is rich green in color. Sarson ka saag is mostly served with Makki di roti. You can serve it with roti, chapati or rice. It is usually topped with clarified butter while serving.
Spinach leaves are the dark green color leaf. They have high protein, minerals, iron and vitamins contents. They are beneficial for skin as well as for bones health. Reduces asthma and cancer risk. Good for the diabetic patient. Like spinach, mustard greens are rich in various nutrients. They are high in dietary fiber and low in calories. So helps in reducing weight. Gives protection to the eyes.
From all these points, Sarson ka saag has lots of health benefits and good taste. The procedure of making Sarson ka saag is simple. Give it a try at home. Subscribe our newsletter for more such tempting recipes.
Dal makhani is one of the delicious Punjabi curry recipe. You can try it as well. We have shared some other curry recipes like chole masala, matar paneer, mushroom curry, malai kofta curry, dum aloo and rajma. Give them try at your home.
Ingredients For Sarson Ka Saag Recipe :-
1 bundle spinach.
2 bundle mustard leaves (greens).
8-10 garlic cloves.
4 green chillies.
2 onions finely chopped.
1 tablespoon grated jaggery.
1/4 cup chickpea flour.
Oil 1/4 cup.
Clarified butter for serving.
- Wash both vegetables with water. Remove dirt from them neatly. After that roughly chopped them. Pressure cook it in enough water up to 3-4 whistles. Veggies should be soft after cooking.
- Finely chopped the ginger, garlic cloves and green chillies. Keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add finely chopped onion. Saute it till onion becomes transparent.
- Once onion turns into nice brown color, add finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry it together.
- Remove water from cooked veggies. Mash it properly with smasher to smooth puree. Pour it in the same pan. Give it a good mix.
- Take 1/2 cup water in a mixing bowl. Add chickpea flour in that water. Make a paste out of it. It should not have any lumps. Pour that paste in the same pan.
- Add jaggery and salt to taste. Mix well. Cover the pan with a lid. Simmer for 3 minutes. Now Punjabi style Sarson ka saag is ready to serve.
Serving Method :-
Add 1 tablespoon clarified butter on Sarson ka saag. Serve hot with Makki di roti. It goes yummy with paneer paratha as well.
- You are free to use corn flour instead of chickpea flour. Chickpea flour is helping in thickening the gravy.