Red kidney beans recipe is a popular Indian vegetarian dish made from red kidney beans. It is also called as a rajma. Generally, it is cooked with a thick gravy using onion and many Indian whole spices (garam masala).
Red kidney beans are an excellent source of protein, dietary fiber and copper. So they form an important part of vegetarian diet and known for their great taste. Usually, rajma is served with rice or roti. Read the following red kidney beans recipe. Try at your home and enjoy it.
Like red kidney beans recipe, other recipes made with lentils such as dal fry recipe, dal makhani recipe and chana masala recipe are also shared on our site. Check them out. Let’s start with red kidney beans recipe.
250 gram rajma (red kidney beans).
2 finely chopped onions.
100 gram shredded coconut.
1 finely chopped tomato.
2 tablespoons poppy seeds.
2 tablespoons sesame.
2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste.
1 tablespoon cumin seeds.
Finely chopped coriander leaves.
1 teaspoon red chilli powder.
1 teaspoon garam masala.
Salt to taste.
- Boil the rajma in cooker.Approximately, it required 10-15 minutes for cook.
- Grind chopped onion, shredded coconut, poppy seeds,sesame and coriander leaves togetherly.(Use water if required.)
- Heat the oil in kadhai. Add some cumin seeds and chopped tomato and saute till they begin to change colour.
- After 2 minutes add grinded mixture and ginger-garlic paste.Fry till garlic browns.
- Add some red chilli powder and garam masala.Mix it nicely.
- Then add boiled rajma, salt and some water.Cook for 10 minutes.
Serving Method :-
Add some coriander leaves on it and serve rajma.You can serve this with plain steamed rice (chawal) or chapati or roti.
- To reduce the cooking time, kidney beans should be presoaked.
- To cook the beans, you can either use stove or cook in pressure cooker.But while cooking water should be about one to two inches above the top of the beans.