Pakoda is a special fried snack originated in India. It is a famous street food as well. Pakoda is also named as pakora or bhaji in India. So our today’s recipe is onion pakoda recipe.
Onion pakoda recipe is most popular food during monsoons and rainy seasons. It is comfort food in many of the Indian festivals, occasions and events. Pakodas are favorite snack eaten with a cup of hot tea or coffee. They are usually served with fried green chillies or pudina chutney or green chutney.
Pakoras can be made in different variations such as palak pakora made from spinach leaves, cabbage pakora made from cabbage, paneer pakoda made from paneer and bread pakoda etc.
Chickpea flour, vegetable slices, some Indian spices and water are combined together to a thick batter. Then fried in a hot oil. This is simple procedure of making any type of pakodas or bhaji. Read the following steps to make onion pakoda recipe at home. Give it a try. Enjoy along with your guest and family.
Preparation Time :- 10 minutes.
Cooking Time :- 10 minutes.
Servings :- 2.
2 large onions, thinly sliced.
1/2 cup chickpea flour (besan).
1 tablespoon red chilli powder.
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
1 teaspoon carom seeds.
Pinch of baking soda.
Few finely chopped coriander leaves.
Oil for frying.
Salt To taste.
- Put thinly sliced onions in a large mixing bowl.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, carom seeds, baking soda, chopped coriander leaves and salt to taste. Give it a good mix. Rest it aside for 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes add chickpea flour and little water. Mix it well together. Take care while adding water. Otherwise pakoda batter will become runny. The batter should be thick enough.
- Heat oil in kadhai for frying.
- Once oil becomes nice and hot drop spoonful of pakoda batter in hot oil. Like this drop 4-5 onion pakoda in oil at a time.
- Deep fry them until get golden brown color. Remove on a kitchen towel. So it will absorb excess oil from pakodas.
Serving Method :-
Serve hot onion pakoda & fried green chillies with a cup of hot masala tea.