Welcome. We all know that our most favourite ganpati festival is from 17th sep to 27th sep, 2015. Get ready to make naivedyam for ganesha. Modak is a favourite sweet of Lord Ganesha. Modak recipe is popular in Maharashtra and other states also. They are sweet in taste and made during ganpati festival.
The stuffing of madak is made from grated coconut and jaggery. For more flavours we can add cardamom, nutmeg, dry fruits etc. The cover of modak is made from rice flour, wheat flour. There are various types of modak like steamed modak, fried modak, khoya modak and many more. Today we are going to make steamed modak. Must try at home for ganesha. Let me know how it comes out and do comment below. Subscribe our newsletter for daily updates. Following are detailed instructions of modak recipe.
1 cup rice flour.
1/2 cup grated jaggery.
2 teaspoons cardamom powder.
2 teaspoons nutmeg powder.
2 teaspoons poppy seeds.
2 cups grated coconut.
Ghee (Clarified butter).
- Heat heavy bottomed pan on stove. Pour 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon oil and pinch of salt into pan. Allow it to boil.
- When water starts boiling add rice flour into it. Stir it well. Break all the lumbs. Allow it to cook nicely.
- When it cooked nicely then switch of the flame. Allow it to cool down lightly. Knead the dough and cover it with damp cloth.
- Let’s start making filling. Heat a pan. Add 2 tablespoons ghee. When it started to melt add poppy seeds. Fry it.
- Once it starts crackling add grated coconut and jaggery. Fry it well for 3-4 minutes.
- When jaggery started to melt add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder and mix it well. Do not over cook. Switch of the flame.
- Make a small ball of previously made dough . Flatten it with your finger and make round shape puri. It should not be so thick not thin.
- Place 1 teaspoon filling in middle of puri.
- Form plates at the edges. Get all the edges together and close at top. It will look like a cone.
- Make all the modaks like this. Place them in a steamer. Steam it for 10 minutes.
Serving Method :-
Serve modak recipe with ghee as bhog to our lord ganesha.
- Readymade modak moulds are available in market. You can use them while making modak.