You know how to make sambar at home in an easy way? If not then don’t worry. Our today’s recipe is how to make sambar. Sambar is a south Indian curry recipe mostly served with idli or dosa or uttapam. All these dishes are going nice with sambar. Without sambar, they cannot be complete recipes. Hence I wrote an article on how to make sambar at home.
Sambar recipe is made with red gram. Some people uses the vegetables like potatoes, brinjal, ladyfinger or drumstick while making sambar. I love sambar with only drumsticks. You can add other veggies as per your wish. It is also known as red gram and vegetable curry.
You can serve the oats idli, or oats dosa with sambar. Do try at home. Enjoy cooking as well as eating. Step by step instructions on how to make sambar recipe is given below. Follow them and make at home.
Ingredients how to make sambhar:-
1 cup red gram washed.
1 tablespoon Bengal gram.
3-4 whole red dried chilies.
1/2 cup grated coconut.
1 roughly chopped onion.
2 small finely chopped tomatoes.
1 teaspoon asafoetida.
2 springs curry leaves.
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds.
1 tablespoon grated jaggery.
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds.
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder.
2 teaspoons red chili powder.
1 teaspoon garam masala.
25 grams tamarind.
Some finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Soak the tamarind with jaggery in 1 cup hot water for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes extract the pulp from it. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for about 1 minute. Roast together whole chilies, Bengal gram, asafoetida, grated coconut, curry leaves, fenugreek, cumin and mustard seeds till coconut turns golden brown.
- Grind roasted ingredients into a paste by adding (1/2 cup) little water from time to time.
- Pour 3 cups of water into cooker. Add red gram, turmeric powder and salt. Stir once.
- Close the lid of the cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat. Reduce heat and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove cooker from heat. Allow to cool down naturally.
- Open cooker. Mash dal completely with the back of the ladle. Add ground paste, tamarind pulp, onion, drumsticks and 2 cups of water. Add red chili powder and garam masala in it. Stir once.
- Close the cooker. Bring to full pressure on high heat for 5-6 minutes. After that remove cooker immediately from heat. Reduce pressure by placing cooker in a basin of cold water for about 2 minutes. Open the lid of the cooker. Our sambar is ready to serve.