Garam Masala – A daily useful masala in your kitchen. You can’t imagine cooking without garam masala. Isn’t it? Many of people have a habit of buying the masala from the grocery store. And then use in your cooking. But these readymade masalas don’t have a smell as well as taste. So why to use it? Hence for you food lovers, we are coming with how to make fresh and homemade garam masala powder recipe.
The secret behind the taste of Indian curries is garam masala. Garam masala is a Hindi name. The hot spices mixture is another name for it in English. The recipe of garam masala is vary from region wise in India. In garam masala powder recipe, different spices are ground to a powder. Here we post the easy and most used recipe for garam masala. You can use this spice powder in making any curries, vegetables and in any dishes. It will help in increase the taste of food.
Spices are used for flavouring and colouring. Garam masala is made from different spices. Spices such as coriander seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black pepper, bay leaves, cumin seeds and many other. Each of these having their own medical benefits. Garam masala has lots of health benefits as well.
Health Benefits Of Garam Masala :
- Promotes weight loss.
- Control the cholesterol level.
- Helps in digestion.
- Lowers the blood sugar level.
- Reduce bad breath.
- Reduce tooth cavity and ache.
- Enhance metabolism.
From all these benefits, garam masala powder is healthy and important masala in your daily food life. So try this simple garam masala powder recipe at home.
Use it in making curries or vegetables.
So you can try these few curry recipes using your homemade garam masala. Like stuffed brinjal fry, aloo matar, kashmiri dum aloo, aloo gobi recipe, spicy matar paneer, malai kofta curry and dal makhani. All goes yummy with garam masala. Hence don’t forget to try at home. Let us know how they turned out.
Preparation Time :- 15 minutes.
Roasting time :- 2 minutes for each ingredient.
Ingredients For Garam masala Powder Recipe :-
1/2 cup coriander seeds.
3 tablespoons cumin seeds.
5-6 cinnamon sticks.
6-7 bay leaves.
5-6 green cardamom.
5-6 black cardamom.
2 tablespoons black pepper.
1 tablespoons black cumin seeds.
3 tablespoons fennel seeds.
- Heat a frying pan on medium flame. First, add coriander seeds in a hot pan. Roast the seeds till gives out the nice aroma and changes its colour. Roast it for 2 -3 minutes. Then remove in the large bowl.
- Now add cumin seeds and fennel seeds in the same hot pan. Roast these seeds nicely. Add in the same bowl after roasting.
- Then add cinnamon sticks in a pan. Roast them properly. Remove in the bowl.
- After that add cloves and black pepper in the pan. Roast till gets nice aroma. Remove in the same bowl.
- Here is the time to add mace in a hot pan. Roast in the same way and remove in the bowl.
- Add lichen and roast it nicely. Put in the same bowl.
- Add green and black cardamom. Roast with a spatula till changes their colour. Transfer to the bowl.
- At last, roast the bay leaves and put in the same bowl. Keep aside that bowl. Let cool down all the spices at room temperature.
- Break the nutmeg into small pieces.
- Once all roasted spices cooled down completely, add in a grinder jar. Also, add nutmeg pieces in it. Close the jar with a lid. Grind the spices mixture on high speed. Check the consistency with your fingers. You can coarsely grind it or grind to a fine powder. The choice is yours.
- Remember none of the spices roasted more than 2-3 minutes.
- Roast the spices at medium flame. Keep stirring continuously. So it will help in avoiding the burn.
- No need to keep each spice separately after roasting. You can put all spices in the same bowl. But spices should be completely cool before grinding.
- We use the standard ingredients in garam masala powder recipe. You can add some other ingredients. But do not avoid any ingredient in the above list.
Store garam masala in the airtight container away from heat. It will remain for 5-6 months. You can refrigerate it as well.
Enjoy cooking and eating.