Chicken handi recipe is famous type of Indian chicken curry. This type of curry is specially cooked in handi. Handi is a deep cooking vessel used in north India and bengal. In many of the restaurants chicken handi recipe is served in such a handi. It looks so awesome.
In chicken handi recipe the chicken pieces are cooked with onion, tomatoes and some more Indian spices. It has a nice creamy texture due to the use of curd in it. It goes tasty with tandoor roti or butter naan. You can even serve with plain rice or jeera rice.
Do check our other chicken recipes like butter chicken, Indian style chicken curry, chilli chicken and chicken stir fry. All these recipes are very delicious to eat as well as very simple to make. Do try at home. Let me know how they turned out.
250 gram chicken pieces.
2 finely chopped onions.
2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste.
2 finely chopped tomatoes.
1 teaspoon coriander seeds powder.
1 teaspoon cumin seeds powder.
2 teaspoons red chilli powder.
1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
1/2 cup yogurt.
Salt to taste.
Finely chopped coriander leaves (for garnishing).
Finely chopped mint leaves (for garnishing).
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in kadhai. Add all chicken pieces in hot oil. Fry for 5-6 minutes. Keep it aside.
- In another kadhai add 2 tablespoons of oil. Once it becomes hot add finely chopped onions. Saute it for few seconds till becomes transparent.
- Then add ginger-garlic paste and finely chopped tomatoes. Fry it nicely. Cover that kadhai with a lid. Cook the tomatoes for 2 minutes.
- When tomatoes becomes soft and tender add red chilli powder, cumin seeds powder, coriander seed powder and turmeric powder. Mix well together.
- Add 1/2 cup fresh yogurt and salt to taste in the same. Pour 1 cup of water. Let boil the gravy.
- Now add previously fried chicken pieces. Give it a good mix. Cover with a lid. Simmer for 20 minutes till it cooked nicely.
Serving Method :-
Transfer chicken handi recipe in a serving handi. Garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves. Serve hot with tandoor roti. It goes tasty with plain rice or jeera rice.