Baingan Ka Bharta Recipe – step by step detail procedure.
Baingan ka bharta is the Maharashtrian cuisine. Khandesh is especially known for it.
Khandeshi style vanghyache bharit and bhakri is the yummiest food in the Maharashtra. No one can wait for such delightful recipes to dig in.
Vangi or baingan are known as brinjals in English. But brinjal used for bharit is quite different than regular one. They are big in size and dark purple in color as shown in below image. They named as Eggplant or Aubergine. This fruit is widely used in cooking.Different gravy curries and dry curries can be made out of it or in combination with it. See here how to make stuffed brinjal fry recipe at home. It is a Maharashtrian style curry. You can serve it with any type of bread like roti, chapati or bhakri.
The eggplant comes with huge health benefits. Few are mentioned below.
- Lowers the bad cholesterol.
- Keeps the heart healthy.
- Prevent cancer.
- Improve bones health.
- Reduce the risk of anemia.
- Boost the brain functioning.
- Control and manage diabetes.
- Helps in weight loss.
- Good for digestion.
- Remove stress.
Traditionally baigan ka bharta is served with bajra bhakri, onion slices and mirchi thecha. But it goes yummy with roti as well as with rice.
Check out here some more Indian curry dishes like roasted peanut curry, chole masala, dum aloo, malai kofta curry, rajma – red beans curry, mushroom curry, akkha masoor recipe, dal makhani and dal fry. Give them simple try at your home. Let us know how they turned out.
Don’t forget to subscribe our newsletter and follow on social media.
Let’s move toward detail baingan ka bharta recipe.
Preparation Time:- 5 minutes.
Cooking Time:- 15 minutes.
Ingredients For Baingan Ka Bharta Recipe:-
5-6 garlic cloves.
2-3 green chilies.
1 teaspoon red chili powder.
1/2 teaspoon garam masala.
1/2 teaspoon asafoetida.
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder.
1 medium onion finely chopped.
2 small tomatoes finely chopped.
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds.
Few curry leaves.
Few fresh coriander leaves.
Salt To Taste.
- Wash the eggplants with water and remove all dirt from them. Dry with a cloth. Make 5-6 slits all around each eggplant. You can use the knife for making slits.
- Push the garlic cloves and green chilies in the slits. So that they get cooked with eggplants.
- Brush the eggplants with oil from all the sides. It will help to peel the skin easily.
- Now eggplants are ready to go on heat. Place them on stove top directly on a medium flame. Keep turning after 1-2 minutes, so that it will cook from all the sides. Roast them till eggplants become soft and tender.
- Insert a knife in the eggplants. If it slid easily then they are cooked well from inside. After that remove from heat and immerse in the water to cool down completely.
- Once roasted eggplants cooled down, peel the skin and mash with a fork. Mash garlic cloves and green chilies along with it. Rest it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan. Once oil becomes hot enough, add curry leaves and cumin seeds.
- When it start crackling, add finely chopped onion. Saute till turns into brown in color. Go ahead and add tomatoes. Saute well.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt to taste. Mix all ingredients together.
- Then add mashed eggplant. Mix well. Add finely chopped coriander leaves. Again give it a nice stir. Ready to serve.
Garnish baigan ka bharta i.e vangyache bharit with coriander leaves. Serve hot with chapati or roti.
- You can roast the eggplants in the oven. Just brush it with oil before cook in the oven.
- If eggplants are not available then you can go with regular brinjals. But choose big size one.